ABOUT KARYN ELLIS
Guelph Mercury calls her “a revelation”. Globe and Mail says Karyn Ellis is a “must-see” songstress and has “a magical way with song.” Whether singing heartfelt tunes or leading raucous sing-a-longs, Karyn is engaging – alternating between playful and bittersweet – and her fine acoustic guitar playing complements her sweet, dynamic voice. A modern folk darling, her thoughtful lyrics are about every day wonders, beauty and hope. Calgary Herald gives four stars to her recent album, Even Though The Sky Was Falling, adding: “This is a woman with stories.”
Karyn was voted “Most Original New Voice” by the Humber College songwriting faculty that included artists Danny Michel, Dahmnait Doyle and US songwriter, Jules Shear. She was shortlisted for the Colleen Peterson Songwriting Award two years in a row in 2009 and 2010, administered by the Ontario Council of Folk Festivals and Ontario Arts Council. Additionally, her song “Little Grey Sparrow” was selected out of over 700 entries nationwide as one of five finalists representing Ontario in CBC Radio 3’s “David Suzuki’s Playlist For the Planet” Songwriting Contest, 2010. In 2012 Karyn was the winner of the first ever Canadian Social Media Blogging Challenge launched by Ariel Hyatt/Cyber PR and the Songwriter’s Association of Canada.
Over the course of her career, Karyn has independently released three albums (her fourth one – More Than A Hero comes out in October 2013), and her music is regularly featured on Canada’s national radio station – CBC radio one & two – and has charted nationally on the campus/community radio charts. She has played over five hundred live shows across Canada and in Europe, appearing in small clubs, living rooms, soft-seaters and festivals. Some highlights include:
• Vancouver International Writers Festival – “Torn From The Pages”. She was invited to create and perform a new song at the festival based on a novel by one of the festival’s feature writers (Timothy Taylor – “Blue Light Project”.)
• Tours of Scotland, France, Germany, The Netherlands and Switzerland in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
• New Waves Festival at the Young Centre, in association with Luminato in Toronto.
• Bluebird North Concert Series in Toronto at the Royal Conservatory, Edmonton at the Haven Club and Vancouver at The Roundhouse Theatre.
• Homeroutes Concert Series, Two circuits: Manitoba and Alberta/Saskatchewan.
• Robson Valley Music Festival (BC), Campbell Bay River Music Festival (BC), Waynefest (AB) River and Sky Music Festival (ON), Artswells (BC)
• Official showcases at NXNE, OCFF, NextFest
Artists she has played with include Geoff Berner, Rose Cousins, Jill Barber, Madison Violet, Elliot Brood, Annabelle Chvostek, Dala, Rae Spoon, Justin Rutledge and Selina Martin.
RIVER performed in the Glasgow City Chambers during a recent tour of Scotland.
***Skip to 1:14 for the start of the song.***
EVEN THOUGH THE SKY WAS FALLING live at the Cameron House in Toronto, Canada. (joined by Brian Kobayakawa on bass.)
SHOOTING STAR live at onefortyfive in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada (joined by Brian Kobayakawa on bass.)
HOW THE TIGER LOST HER ROAR recorded live in Zwolle, Netherlands as part of the Kringloop sessions.
TO BOOK KARYN FOR YOUR EVENT, CONTACT:
Please include info such as where, when, what sort of show/venue and your budget. *Feel free to put feelers out even if you don’t have a specific date in mind. It may be possible to build a tour around your idea.
Thanks! xox karyn and co.